The student news site of Morris Hills High School

The Hilltopper

Champions! MH Football Takes Title

Gabriel Korish

After forty-one seasons, the Morris Hills football team has once again brought home the sectional championship. The team, led by senior captains Daymon Fleming, Dajon Chappell,  Nick Walls, and Thomas Stoback, defeated Parsippany Hills 27-14 at MetLife Stadium.

The team started the first half with a determined and composed mindset. The crowd roared as Nick Walls sealed a 16 play, 80 yard opening drive with a touchdown. Moreover, Parsippany Hills’ scoring attempt was denied by our team’s tough defense. Morris Hills made a big stop on Parsippany Hills as the team was forced to turn the ball over seven yards away from the goal line. After the first half, Morris Hills emerged even more united, following Coach Sabo’s mindset and emphasis on “playing four quarters of football.”

“We needed to play good, hard, clean football,” Coach Sabo stated, “and we had to make plays when we had to make plays. It would have been very easy for us to get down on ourselves when the other team came marching down and tied the game early in the third quarter. Instead, because we were so together as a team, we answered a score with a score, continued to play really good defense, and as a result, were able to win our championship.”

With the game tied on fourth down, and a minute left in the third quarter, our offense knew it was time to step up the intensity. Fleming connected with Junior Devin Caruso for a twenty-five yard touchdown pass to put the team ahead and cause the fans and team to be focused. Soon again, after a recovered fumble to return our team possession, Angelo Macera scored off of a twenty-two touchdown run. This further widened the scoreboard and put Morris Hills up by fourteen.

With a few minutes remaining, Daymon Fleming swiftly and athletically evaded the defense to score a fifty-five yard touchdown run.

In addition to the impressive performance by the team, what truly exemplified the Morris Hills spirit was the incredible support from the fans. Hundreds of students, friends, family, and alumni came out to support Hills attain a second sectional title. The electrifying atmosphere ingrained an experience of a lifetime for every player, coach, and attendee. Quarterback Fleming said he was happy to “just to come up big, play for my teammates, the school, the community; it’s amazing.” This attitude and leadership, shared by all, carved a path for collective success, especially in the postseason run.

The culmination of hard work, perseverance, and an unmatched team chemistry, allowed for Hills to dominate and more importantly, make the community proud. Forty-one years later, the Morris Hills dream still lives on.